ivy

U.S President, Barack Obama vows to help the tribal groups in America in furtherance of pursuing the American dream. The president  told the leaders of 564 federally recognised tribes at the Tribal Nations Conference in Washington that few US groups "have been more marginalised and ignored by Washington for as long as native Americans". With this,he is committed to giving their communities a equal opportunity to pursue the "American dream". 

In his speech on Thursday: "I know that you may be sceptical that this time will be any different, you have every right to be.I want you to know now that I am absolutely committed to moving forward with you in forging a new and better future together.It's a commitment to getting this relationship right so that you can be full partners in the American economy and so your children and grandchildren can have an equal shot at pursuing the American dream."

Obama signed a document giving US government agencies 90 days to submit proposals on methods ways to improve consultation with leaders of native American communities.

The Native Social Condition


The American tribal groups suffered from high levels of unemployment and poverty. Obama also acknowledged that some native American reservations have unemployment rates of about 80 per cent and that about one quarter of people living on reservations are mired in poverty.

Obama relayed: I know you've heard this song from Washington before, I get it. I am on your side. I understand what it means to be an outsider. I was born to a teenage mother. My father left when I was two years old. I know what it means to feel ignored and forgotten and what it means to struggle. So you will not be forgotten as long as I am in this White House."


With this,  the president hoped that improved communication and consultation between the US government and tribal groups would help improve the lives of native Americans. (Facts Source: Aljazeera)



0 Responses

Post a Comment